Important Insurance Links:

a. Council Accident & Sickness Brochure Link:
b. How to File a Claim:
c. Your HSR BSA Claim Team:

Various types of insurance are provided, required of, or available to Scouting members, leaders, and chartering organizations.

Comprehensive General Liability -  This coverage provides primary general liability coverage for registered volunteer Scouters with respect to claims arising out of an official Scouting activity, which is defined in the insurance policy as consistent with the values, Charter and Bylaws, Rules and Regulations, the operations manuals, and applicable literature of the Boy Scouts of America. Provided by the National Council for all registered leaders, and made possible as part of your membership registration fees. More details.

Automobile Liability - All vehicles used in Scouting activities must be covered by a libailiby policy that meets state requirements, with a recommended minimum of $100,000 combined single limit. Other requirements apply - please visit the National Council insurance coverage page for more details.

Chartered Organizatons - The general liability policy provides primary liability insurance coverage for all chartered organizations on file with the BSA for liability arising out of their chartering a traditional Scouting unit. More details are available at the National Council insurance coverage page.

Accident and Sickness Coverage - Accident and sickness insurance (also known as accident and health insurance) coverage for Scouts and Scouters furnishes medical reimbursement in case of death, accident, or sickness within the policy amounts.

Coverage is excess of all other insurance or healthcare plans in force. This policy is excess to any and all other available source of medical insurance or other healthcare benefits.

Who is covered? All registered youth and seasonal staff are eligible; registered leaders and volunteer leaders.

The coverage provided has maximum limits it pays and a maximum benefit period, usually 52 weeks from the date of the incident. Claims should be filed with the accident and sickness carrier as soon as possible (must be submitted within 90 days of any incident), along with any other source of medical insurance or other healthcare benefits.

To process a claim, download the claim form (see downloads list below) and submit directly to HSR as instructed within the form. Questions may be directed to Nancy Maxwell at the council office.

Certificates of Insurance Requests

When another organization requests that they be provided a Certificate of Insurance, usually when a unit (pack or troop, etc.) is renting or otherwise utilizing the property or facilities of another group, a certificate can be requested using the Certificate of Insurance Request Form (see downloads area below). 

Please complete the form and return to your District Executive and allow two (2) weeks minimum for processing. Approved certificates will returned by email after processing. 

Incident Reporting

Anytime an incident occurs when persons are injured - or even when there was almost an injury (a 'near-miss'), leaders are requested to provide an Incident Report (download below). These reports are compiled to give volunteer and staff risk managers a big-picture view of risk areas so that Scouting can continue to become safer and safer. Please provide this form whenever ANY incident occurs, preferably within three days of the incident.

Unauthorized and Restricted Activities

The Boy Scouts of America’s general liability policy provides coverage for a bodily injury or property damage claim that is made and arises out of an official Scouting activity. The Guide to Safe Scouting contains a listing of unauthorized and restricted activities. Unauthorized activities are not considered official Scouting activities.

Volunteers (registered and unregistered), units, chartered organizations, and local councils are jeopardizing insurance coverage for themselves and their organization by engaging in unauthorized activities. 

Please do not put yourself at risk.

Insurance and Incident Reporting Forms


File Name Description
Accident Insurance Certificate Download
Accident Insurance Claim Form Download
Accident Insurance Claim LFL Form Download
Accident Insurance for Unregistered Unit Family Members Download
Certificate of Insurance Request Download
Driving Safety Download
Health Officer Training Download
Hold Harmless Download
Incident Descriptions and Reporting Instructions Download
Incident Reporting Form Download
Near Miss Reporting Form Download